Who we are
The Office of the Tax Collector is a separate and independent government entity to ensure freedom from influence by local or state agencies that have the power to levy taxes. This means that the Tax Collector can and does operate independently of the Okaloosa County Board of County Commission and other Constitutional Offices. The Tax Collector’s budget is approved by the Florida Department of Revenue.
How do we operate?
The Tax Collector’s Office employs 80 highly-skilled and motivated people. We operate six offices throughout the county and are conveniently located to make doing business with us effortless.
The offices are located in Ft. Walton Beach, Crestview, Niceville, Destin, Eglin AFB and Hurlburt Field.
The Okaloosa County Tax Collector is a constitutional office that collects and distributes over one-quarter billion dollars annually in taxes and fees. The Tax Collector’s Office:
- collects property taxes for every local taxing authority that has the power to levy,
- serves the county as its agent for the administration of business tax receipts,
- serves the state as an agent for The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles , The Department of Environmental Protection , The Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission , and The Department of Revenue , serves as an educational resource for the public
- serves the county with driver license services in Ft. Walton Beach, Niceville Crestview and Destin.
To be a standard for excellence in the collection and distribution of taxes.
Exceeding the expectations of our customers while accurately fulfilling our obligations and duties:
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Excellent Customer Service