Drivers License & ID Cards


All of the Tax Collector offices offer Driver License Services such as issuance of original, renewal and replacement driver license as well identification cards, knowledge exams, driving tests and reinstatement’s; however, some locations have limited services.


  • Driver’s license services are Monday-Friday 8:30-3:30 pm except in our base offices
  • On Hurlburt and Eglin, you will need an appointment for Driver’s license services. Please call 850-651-7300 or click here.
  • Driving tests are performed centrally at our Niceville location, they are administered by appointment only.  To schedule an appointment click here or you can call our Customer Service Center at (850) 651-7300
  • We offer Hazmat Fingerprinting only at our Niceville location.
  • Fees: For more information about fees please click for the following schedule. 



For office visits, you must bring specific forms of proof for identification, Social Security number, and residential address. The checklists here list some valid documents. For more document options, visit

  1. Proof of Legal Presence \ Citizenship

Bring one: * Original or Certified Documents must be presented, No Photocopies accepted*

  • Certified US birth certificate (Not Hospital Birth Certificate)
  • Valid US passport in current name
  • Certificate of naturalization
  • Consular proof of birth abroad
  • Alien registration receipt card (green card, Form 1-551)

Name Change: (if applicable) (Marriage constitutes name change)

  • Original or certified copy of all marriage certificates or court orders that show your name change(s) (Uncertified photocopies are not valid.)
  1. Social Security Number

Bring one:

  • Social Security card or W-2 form (Showing full Social Security Number)
  • Pay check showing number (Showing full Social Security Number)
  • Any 1099 form (Cannot be handwritten)

*Please make sure the name on your social security document matches the name you have or wish to have on your Driver’s License*

  1. Residential Address (not post office box)

Bring two:

  • Deed, mortgage, payment booklet, or rental agreement
  • Florida vehicle registration or title
  • Utility bill or hookup/work order
  • If you don’t receive mail due to living with someone, bring two address documents in that person’s name


Print your own personal checklist  prior to coming into the office at or contact the state DMV: 850-617-3995


Learner’s Permits

To obtain a Learners permit you must:

  1. Take a TLSAE course (Traffic Law Substance Abuse Education) This course is required unless  you have taken Driver’s Education in school or have had a permit from another state or a license from another country. This course is taken online only. You can click here to go to the state approved course providers list.
  2. Take permit exams in our office ( You can only take this  exam online if you are under 18 years old. If under 18, click here to visit the state approved provider list) Permit exams are provided in our office Monday-Friday 8:30-3:30 pm. The exam is an hour long therefore you may want to consider coming before 2:30 pm.
  3. Once all exams are taken and passed then you may get your permit by bringing in all the documents required and paying your permit fee of $54.25

Studying for the Permit Test

You can find the handbooks below:

Drivers Handbooks

Additional handbooks can be found here.

You can also take the practice permit test HERE!


If you are under 18 you will need to hold your permit for a period of one year with no traffic citations before you can take your Driving Test. Driving tests are performed centrally at our Niceville location, they are administered by appointment only.  To schedule an appointment click here or you can call our Customer Service Center at (850) 651-7300



The Okaloosa County Tax Collector’s Office offers several methods to make paying drivers license transactions easier and more convenient.  Customers can pay in person using a debit/credit card issued by Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express. A bank card fee is applicable for debit/credit card payments per FL Statute 215.322.  Payment by check or cash is also accepted.


  • Credit card payments may be treated as a “cash advance” by the credit card company and may incur interest charges from the date  of the transaction.
  • If writing a check, make it payable in U.S. funds to the Okaloosa County Tax Collector.

When you provide a check as payment, you authorize us to either 1. use information from your check to make a one-time electronic fund transfer from your account or 2. process the payment as a check transaction.



Are you Military Stationed out of state?


Military!  Click the above icon to get specific information pertaining to members of the Armed Forces.


April is “Donate Life Month”  Below are several ways you can become an organ donor.

How to register as an organ donor.

Florida offers four simple ways to register as an organ, tissue or eye donor.

  1. On Donate Life Florida’s website at
  2. When renewing your driver license online at
  3. When obtaining a new or renewed driver license in an office.
  4. By calling Donate Life Florida at 1-877-35-SHARE (1-877-357-4273)